Thursday, February 7, 2008

Baby food

Alright I tried it today. I tried making my own baby food. I haven't feed any to the boys to see if they will like it, but there is some freezing right now in my freezer. I decided to go the easy way and I got a bag of frozen peas (I got the steam in the bag kind to make it easier). I cooked them in the microwave and then threw them in the blender and pureed them. I added very little breastmilk that I had from pumping (but you could add water or formula). It is still pretty chunky which I think will be good for the boys to have since they are getting older. Anyway back to the making process. I then poured the peas into ice cube trays (I've heard not to use the white or clear ones because they stain easier) and put them in the freezer. I think 3-4 ice cubes will equal one stage 2 size jar of food. Once they are frozen I'll take all the ice cubes and put them in zip top bags in the freezer so I can make some other food in the ice cube trays. I also have carrots and green beans that are frozen to use for baby food and then I bought a can of lite peaches and lite pears plus a jar of unsweetened applesauce. I was going to buy the no sugar added peaches and pears, but they have splenda in them and I didn't think that would be good for the babies. I was going to call the doctor today and ask about the splenda thing, but I haven't gotten to that yet. I'll let you know how the feeding goes once I feed it to the boys.

No comments: